Jambalaya Ham and Oyster Dressing
- 2 1/2 cups converted white rice
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 lb smoked ham , cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs , chopped (with leaves)
- 1 medium green bell pepper , chopped
- 4 scallions , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1-1 1/2 cup turkey broth or chicken broth , as needed
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) containers oysters , drained and cut into 2-3 pieces (may use 24 fresh shucked oysters)
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat.
Add in the rice; lower heat to medium.
Boil for about 15-20 minutes or until rice is barely tender.
Drain rice in a sieve and rinse under cold running water.
Transfer rice to a large bowl.
In a big skillet, let butter melt over medium-high heat.
Add in the ham, celery, bell pepper, scallions, and garlic; stir/saute for about 10-12 minutes or until the onion is golden.
Add in the Cajun seasoning; stir fo 30 seconds.
Add in tomato sauce, 1 cup broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.
Bring to a simmer; lower heat to medium and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until slightly thickened.
Add the sauce to the bowl rice along with the oysters; stir to mix.
Transfer mixture to a lightly butter casserole dish.
Drizzle with 1/2 cup broth; cover and bake in a 350° oven for about 30 minutes.