- 1/4 cup chicken fat or pork fat or beef fat or margarine
- 3 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped green bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tasso (preferred) or other other smoked ham (preferably Cure 81, see Note)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped andouille smoked sausage (preferred) or any other good any other good smoked pork sausage , such as polish sausage (Kielbasa, see Note)
- 8 medium tomatoes , peeled and chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons chef paul prudhomme meat magic seasoning
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chef paul prudhomme magic hot pepper sauce
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked rice (preferably converted)
- 2 cups hot basic pork stock or chicken stock or water
NOTE: K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen Cajun Pork Tasso (smoked pork strips) and K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen Andouille smoked sausage are available through 1-800-457-2857.
If you substitute ham for the tasso and/or sausage for the andouille, be sure to add more Meat Magic.
In a 4-quart saucepan, melt chicken fat over medium heat.
Add 1-1/2 cups onions, 1 cup celery and 3/4 cup bell peppers.
Cook until onions are a rich brown color, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the tasso, andouille and remaining 1-1/2 cups onions, 1 cup celery and 3/4 cup bell peppers.
Continue cooking 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, bay leaves, Meat Magic, garlic and Magic Pepper Sauce.
Simmer 15, stirring occasionally.
Turn heat to high, fold in rice until well mixed.
Add stock, cover pot and remove from heat.
Let stand, covered, 15 minutes.
Return saucepan to medium heat and cook covered for 4 minutes.
Remove from heat and let stand, covered, until rice is tender, about 10 minutes.
Remove bay leaves and serve immediately.